Monday

Brilliant

Remember that Favorites post about folding your sheets into their own pillow cases (here) and how I thought that was an absolutely brilliant idea? You probably thought that was common sense but I just don't think of things like that. This is going to be another post like that. 

Well ,I was sitting at a totally non-decor related meeting this weekend when something that the speaker said rocked my little struggling to design mind. I forgot the exact quote/speaker but what it translated to in my mind was this:

Plan A was to make my house a home (decor wise).
Plan B: To be able to afford Plan A. 
Plan C: Throw a little style into Plan A and cover up the cheapness of what I actually could afford.
Plan D: To be able to afford Plan A + C
.
.
.
Plan H: All the crap furniture is falling apart, I have no style, I am doomed. It is going to look like this forever.

By now I'm getting a little depressed. "The Plan" Is making it's way through the alphabet and I'm struggling to come up with a Plan I, when I stumble onto the idea of refinishing and finding hidden potential in trash bins. 

Plan J: Thrift my way into bliss.
Plan K: I have a ton of stuff and I'm going to make this work!!!
.
.
.
Plan N: I have a ton  of stuff. I'm on Plan Freakin' M and this is not working out. I'll start using Pinterest to define my style. I'll have endless possibilities and instant inspiration and links to thrifty websites!
Plan O: Paint EVERYTHING White. It is the constant in my inspiration photos. Next Hardwood floors! There are no carpeted rooms in my inspiration photos. Then, invest in beach-y curtains and canopy beds.
Plan P: Be able to afford Plan O.
.
.
.
As you can tell this is not going well. Unless I pretty much take my house apart, paint EVERY single piece of trim, molding, stair railing and door surface, get new flooring for the ENTIRE house, toss out my most expensive furniture, enlarge all of my windows, and dig up my back yard and replace it with the whole ocean (the blue kind, not the silty kind like here in Alaska) then this is NOT GOING TO HAPPEN. 

Here's the thing. I have been coming up with SO many plans that hadn't worked and all along Plan A was the Key.  I just had to think about it differently. Instead of:

Make my house a home (decor wise).

I needed to be malleable and think of my home. It should have been read like this:

Make MY HOUSE a home (decor wise).

I could try six ways from Sunday to make this house into my every whim and unless I was going to come up with the $ to tear down my house and completely rebuild another one my "ocean breeze, teal and purest of whites, vintage cottage home" style that I wanted so bad, that I tried so hard for was not going to jive with my 80's-built, blackout-curtain-necessary, off-white-wall-and-carpet, builders-grade, cheap-wood-loving house. EVERYTHING about my house is wrong, wrong, wrong for that. The house itself is built for Alaska. The functions of this house have to meet Alaska standards. Last time I checked blackouts curtains don't "billow," it's more like watching a moose breath in and out. 

So. My NEW and improved plan is:

Plan A!!!!

Make MY HOUSE a home (decor wise).

Brilliant.

Now, that doesn't mean that I have to abandon all of my hopes and dreams. it just means that the super modern IKEA desk is not going to play well with my builder's grade, 80's brown color trim and since the trim is ALL over the house. The desk is what will have to go.

I am so excited to try this new outlook on my home! The hubs found some GREAT things this weekend that are SO me AND they are SO MY HOUSE too. 

*sigh of relief*

Glad we got that all worked out. 

2 comments:

  1. This is totally how my thought process goes too! Your pinterest button doesn't work. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for letting me know Jessica! The Pinterest Button should be up and running now :)

    ReplyDelete